Request for Tenders
On 01.12.2020 AI4Cities launched its international Request for Tenders (RfT) to go through a pre-commercial procurement (PCP) to acquire innovative solutions in the fields of energy and mobility. These solutions should utilise artificial intelligence or other enabling technologies - such as big data applications, 5G, edge computing and IoT - and contribute to the reduction of CO2 emissions in the six cities and regions participating in the project: Amsterdam (The Netherlands), Copenhagen (Denmark), Helsinki (Finland), Île-de-France - Paris Region (France), Stavanger (Norway) and Tallinn (Estonia). The Request for Tenders closed on 28.02.2021.
In order to submit an elligible offer the tenderers were required to download all four Tender documents and fill in and sign Forms A-H. The relevant documents and forms can be seen here below. For more information about the steps followed by the suppliers, check the AI4Cities Pre-Commercial Procurement Tendering Guide.
Tender documents & Forms
- TENDER DOCUMENT 1: REQUEST FOR TENDERS
- Tender Document 2: Functional Specifications
- Tender Document 3: PCP Framework Agreement
- Tender Document 4: Specific contract for Phase 1
- FORM A: GENERAL TENDER SUBMISSION AND POWER OF ATTORNEY
- FORM B: EXCLUSION CRITERIA
- FORM C: SELECTION CRITERIA
- FORM D: COMPLIANCE CRITERIA
- FORM E: TECHNICAL OFFER PHASE 1
- FORM F: FINANCIAL BREAKDOWN
- FORM G: FINANCIAL OFFER PHASE 1
- FORM H: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The Buyers Group
The submitted offers will be evaluated by The Buyers Group, consisting of Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Helsinki (represented by Forum Virium Helsinki), Île-de-France - Paris Region (represented by Cap Digital), Stavanger and Tallinn.
The six cities and regions forming The Buyers Group all aim to become carbon neutral by 2050 and have created exhaustive carbon neutrality strategies and plans to achieve that goal. AI4Cities has been created to help them turn their plans into actions. However, knowing that in European cities the energy and mobility domains are together responsible for 82% of GHG emissions, AI4Cities has alligned itself with a larger global and urgent need for effective solutions. Tenderers submitting an offer had to specify whether they submit inLot 1 (Mobility)or Lot 2 (Energy). AI4Cities received 54 applications in Lot 1 and 44 applications in Lot 2.
The proposed solutions must build on highly innovative and not market-ready technologies and/or concepts. In order to demonstrate their potential for large-scale sustainable deployment after the project completion, and, therefore, their added value for the cities, solutions must be tested and validated at a large-scale inside AI4Cities' project cities.
Pre-commercial procurement challenges industry to develop innovative solutions for public sector needs and it provides a first customer reference that enables companies to create competitive advantage on the market. AI4CIties' Pre-Commercial Procurement process will be executed in three phases, ending in July 2022
Following the Request for Tenders. The Buyers Group will select 20 suppliers in Lot 1 and 20 supplier in Lot that will continue to Phase 1. In this phase the selected suppliers will work on a full plan for the development of a prototype, including a sustainability model to ensure its future uptake and scalability. Then, in Phase 2, the first prototypes of the solutions proposed in Phase 1 will be created, based on lean principles and agile methods. Finally, in Phase 3 selected contractors will test their prototypes in a minimum of two cities. The full feature set and performance of each solution will be verified and compared in operational conditions.
The total funding amount to be divided among the selected suppliers throughout the whole pre-commercial procurement process is 4.6 million euros.
- Phase 1: The total procurement budget in Phase 1 will be 1.6 million euros. 20 suppliers will be selected per lot. The total maximum budget per supplier will be 40,000 euros.
- Phase 2: The total procurement budget in Phase 2 will be 1.6 million euros. 10 suppliers will be selected per lot. The total maximum budget per supplier will be 80,000 euros.
- Phase 3: The total procurement budget in Phase 3 will be 1,466,622 million euros. 3 suppliers will be selected per lot. The total maximum budget per supplier will be 244,437 euros.
To support suppliers, AI4Cities organised three Request for Tender webinars, on 15 December 2020, 15 January 2021 and 10 February 2021. The presentation slides for the first two webinars can be downloaded here and here. The slides for the final webinar can be found here.